I recently asked a friend to blog about some of her favorite things this summer and then decided I would do the same! Here are some things that I am really enjoying this summer, maybe you will too:
- Frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken or Frozen Chicken Quesadillas from Trader Joes! I love to cook, but sometimes it is nice to have a lazy summer day where you get back from the pool around dinner time and can just toss something in the oven or microwave. These are great for nights like that! And both of these options honestly taste just as good as my home cooking (that is supposed to be a compliment to Trader Joes, not bashing my cooking ;-)… at least I hope that’s true!)
- ROO CUP!!! Please tell me you know about the ROO cup. The ROO cup is a big, plastic cup you can buy from Kangaroo Express gas stations for $6.99 and then get $.25 refills all summer long! That would be of fountain drinks or slushies. I love my ROO. It’s even become a noun in the Maroon household. It’s not, “I’m going to go get a half diet, half regular coke,” it’s, “I’m going to go get a Kangaroo!” Which I do daily, by the way. Last year it was free refills all summer, which is clearly way better. But I’ll take what I can get when it comes to cheap fountain drinks! Check it out here (you’re welcome).
- Dark chocolate covered power berries, also a Trader Joes item. A great way to fulfill your chocolate craving AND feel healthy about it :). They are super delicious.
- So I know I went on a little self tanning strike earlier this year (you can read more about it here ). I will have you know that I went 2 months without using any sort of tanning products (that’s really good for me… don’t judge!). But now that summer is here, let’s be real: I want at least a little bit of a tan. Preferably in a non skin cancerish way. So here’s my new philosophy on self tanner: it’s ok if it makes it look like my skin tone has gotten some summer color; it’s not ok if it changes my skin tone entirely, especially to the Oompa loompa orange tone. Anyway, here’s my way of accomplishing just that: Jergen’s Natural Glow Express. It actually smells good (not that yucky normal self tanner smell), and after one day of using it, I look like I’ve spent a day in the sun when really I was in the shade. Or inside the pool covered in sunscreen :).
- Este Lauder bronzer. I love that stuff! I’ve been using it for almost 3 years. I’m thankful that my mom works for Este Lauder because I’m not trying to spend $28 on bronzer, but if you are trying to you should definitely get this one. Preferably from my mom. She gets commission.
- Bath & Bodyworks new “White Citrus” scented lotion. My mother-in-law bought me some for Mother’s Day and it is the perfect summer fragrance!
- I am loving this baby float for the pool! It is the only one that I could find for as early as 6 months old and Riley is just adorable in it. She kicks her little legs and makes her way around the pool :). And it has a sun shade so it protects her precious little skin!
- I’m really digging the new long skirt trend going on this summer. Now I haven’t actually bought one yet, but I intend to. I’m just waiting for the right one to come along. And I know that when I find it, I will just know that it is “the one.” But in the meantime, I do love them and I am thankful that they’re in (you know, post baby bod and all).
- Big floppy hats :). I’ve always wanted one and I finally bought one this year! Wearing one to the pool (or lake or beach) just makes me feel like I’m on a constant vacation. And that is a goooood feeling ;-).
- Anything by Sophie Kinsella. The Undomestic Goddess is my favorite of hers thus far and I am on the library waiting list for her latest book I’ve Got Your Number. Any of her books are great, light summer reading and her witty humor will keep you laughing, which I love!
- Doing a book club with friends. I started doing this via Facebook with some friends this spring and now we are on our 3rd book. It’s been a really fun, encouraging and challenging experience. There is something so neat about hearing other people’s thoughts on the same thing you are reading! Definitely a fun idea for a summer hobby :).
So there you have it! My favorite things of summer :). What are some of your favorite things? I’d love to know!